I love reading other people's blogs on the other side of the world when the weather is the polar opposite of what I am experiencing. The seasons are a powerful influencer on the way we live. It has got me so excited to read about snow. I love the change of seasons, each season is so remarkable.
We live with a large Golden Elm tree in our back garden that responds wonderfully to the seasons. The summer shade is enjoyed currently. It gives us the perfect dappled shade that moves in the breeze. The harsh hot sun is screen out as only spots of light hit the ground and dance lightly around us. The dry northern wind, that today sent temperatures to 41 degrees, is cooled by the elm. It protects us and aids us with our grueling summers. Under the elm we can sit, otherwise we burn. A canopy of shade when we most need it.In autumn I look up in earnest at the leaves that are yet to fall as I sweep and sweep and sweep some more. Life renewing itself, I think, as I put the leaves back into the soil. The yellow leaves are bright and happy as we say goodbye to the warmth of the sun. I love to capture a falling leaf before it descends to the ground and make a secret wish for health for those I love most.
The bare winter branches cast eerie shadows on our back wall as the soft winter sun moves low across the sky. Green lush moss grows in the elms creases as rain makes it moist there. I touch it with cold fingers and wonder how long it has to live. I watch the shadows grow shorter as the sun rises. I look for warm spots to sit in.
A fluffy green blossom marks spring for me. Adelaide Rosellas arrive to eat and prune, gymnastics are performed to reach the morsels they desire. Wings are spread as they don’t tolerate me. The spring gully winds spread petals north west, filling gutters and corners not visited by the broom. We watch in anticipation as the bright lime green leaves sprout. Fresh new leaves ready to absorb the sun. Life renewed, protecting, and providing.
Written for Sunday Scribblings
No comments:
Post a Comment