Monday, February 22, 2010

#2 Ethical

Continued from Message











Lizzy picked up the thick green envelope and ripped it open.
To Lizzy, she read and frowned wondering why Will would drop any endearments.

This is a letter I have to write.

I don’t want to tell you what I am about to, but I am forced too. Let me first say that had I NOT got ill and lived out the rest of my life so happy with you, you would not ever know what I am about to tell you. Fate is forcing my hand. This dam disease is making me confess the demons of my past. Maybe that is a good thing. I just wish it was not you that had to find this out. But you are the only living soul I trust. My dear darling Lizzy, I am sorry for what I am about to place on your shoulders.


The burden is not one I have enjoyed, but it is of my own doing. I can hear you say “Oh come on it can’t be that bad, you haven’t killed someone have you?” and let me reassure you I have not. However this confession to you is not easy. This deed I have done is wrong, unethical and will tarnish your memory of me and anyone else who finds out. Please understand I don’t want anyone else to know this. It could die with me, but I tell you in the hope that you my darling will benefit in the long run which is as I intended.

Before I drive you mad with apprehension let me get to the point. I have a stolen identity in the name of Stewart Boman. You might wonder who on earth that is, and honestly I don’t know him, I suppose he is a real person somewhere. I have not hurt him, but I have used his identity and details to open a bank account. The account is real and it has just over $300,000 in it. I can imagine you gasping now, I am so sorry to shock you. Know that I did want to tell you, but not burden you with the truth of what I have done.

The money is not Stewart Boman’s, it is really my father’s. Before he died he gave me all his bank account details. He knew it would be too much for Mum to manage and thought he was helping her. She never had to worry about money anyway, as Dad looked after everything. At that time you might remember Mum was a bit strange. I think you even said to me that people respond to crisis in different ways. Well I found out that Mum was having an affair. I think it had been going on for a while. I was outraged at her behaviour, Dad was on his deathbed and she was in the arms of another man. I just couldn’t see Mum get all of his money. I had the means to do something for the sake of Dad’s pride, so I did. I needed to hurt her and have one over her, without her really realising it, just like what she was doing to Dad. 


Initially I thought I would share it with David. I tried to tell him about Mum several times, but I just couldn’t bring myself to break the news. He’s been such a great brother now we are adults and he really looks after Mum. I just couldn’t confess to him and to this day I don’t want him to know. I think David would just give the money back to her if I shared it with him. I feel ashamed of what I’ve done. Just as I feel ashamed of Mum, but I think Dad would be happy with me.

Lizzy put the letter down on her lap and sighed.
“That’s a lot of money Will” she said out aloud. She looked back at the letter and read on.

At least now you will understand why I have had a strained relationship with my Mum. I have not forgiven her for what she did to Dad. I feel so embarrassed of her, and I feel so wounded for Dad. Would he know about it now do you think? Mum has absolutely no idea it’s happened, she never paid much attention to the finances.

So Lizzie, what do you think? I do feel as though David is entitled to half the money, but not Mum, not a cent.

Sorry my love, but this is your burden now. You can do what you like with this money. The account statements, card and pin number are in an envelope taped under the drawer lining of the bottom drawer in my bedside cabinet.

Obviously it would be suspicious if you transferred the money into your account. You need to think about the tax implications and also linking the account to you. I suggest you make cash withdrawals from various ATMs, interstate too if you can. Wear different stuff each time, sunglasses, hat, scarfs, heels to change your height and don’t park the car opposite or near the machine so it’s not photographed by the Bank’s camera. You need to be really careful. Approach the machine in one direction and leave in another.


I hope there is a small part of you that will find this thrilling.

I love you and I am sorry.

Love always Will.
xxx

PS Please destroy this letter for me.


Lizzy was appalled, but maybe a little thrilled. She wouldn’t have to worry about money quite so much, but could she really take and use this money? She did not feel at all entitled to it. To her, Will’s unethical behaviour showed just how much he loved his Dad. It warmed her that he trusted her and only her with this secret. At this moment she did not feel any burden only a growing pleasure that they still had something tangible between them. Lizzie stood up, folded the letter carefully, placed it in her jeans pocket, she walked towards Will’s beside drawer.



Continued here

1 comment:

Old Egg said...

What a dilemma! What an adventure! Let's hope the future prompts are helpful in the development of the story.

This is enthralling. I know you have posted the next chapter but I will comment chronologically.

p.s. "dam" should be "damn" or "damned"

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails