Monday, December 7, 2009

Weird

I think its weird that you change
so much whenever you hit the bottle.
I think its weird that you repeat yourself
over and over despite saying sorry.
I think its weird how you say you
want and love me, but criticise all that I am.
I think its weird how you crack
then rant and rave and hurt and hit.

I think its even weirder that I
stay with you and believe all that you say.
I think its even weirder that I
keep this secret and protect you from the law.
I think its even weirder that
we smile and say we are doing alright.
I think its even weirder that I
need you to keep me in this place.

















Note: this is a work of fiction for Sunday Scribblings

8 comments:

Old Egg said...

This is a terrible situation. It is not weird it is abuse. Where is your character's self esteem, has it been beaten out of her? Can't you give her or us any hope?

This is a shatteringly real scenario that can only be resolved by her walking away.

Great work again. I am proud of you CF.

Chapter Forty said...

Yes, this is abuse. I think its weird that we as humans say the worst things to those we love the most. I think its weird that abuse even occurs and even weirder how victims can beleive they deserve it. - C.F.

Anonymous said...

This is chilling and walking away unfortunately carries a huge physical risk. In my area here have been 6 murder-suicides in the past month. I've been thinking about this a lot and your poem really rings true. It's a weirdness that goes very deep.
Kate

Tumblewords: said...

Well-written weirdness - chilling and sad.

missalister said...

So much of a psychological web exists around any abuse issue. The victims are tangled badly in the center of it, and so many of those on the outside avert their eyes to stay clear of it. The words you’ve stacked up here have potential to make a difference to the right eyes. Awareness rules : )

Dee Martin said...

confusion when your character loves a person who is hurting them. so hard to see the progression as things worsen. well said.

miruspeg said...

You say this is a work of fiction, if only it was for so many poor souls.
Excellent writing....sad, true but extremely well written and accurate.
Peggy xxx

Anonymous said...

Yes, very well written. I find it weird that in today's time with so many avenues to gain help, women still subject themselves to such abuse. I guess my grandmother's words still ring true - dirty laundry needs to be kept separate for sorting and washing, not aired in public

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails